Building Grassroots Democracy in Fiji
The Building Grassroots Democracy in Fiji project aims to strengthen political participation and democratic inclusiveness of young people in civil society through education and capacity building.
Through this project
- The capacity of young people to organize and mobilize is strengthened;
- The capacity of young people to advocate for democratic values, greater inclusiveness and participation is strengthened; and
- Educational resources and learning tools to support organization and action will be developed.
The Building Grassroots Democracy in Fiji project engages youth groups in thirty two (32) communities and schools from twelve (12) provinces – Cakaudrove, Bua, Macuata, Tailevu, Naitasiri, Serua, Namosi, Nadroga, Ba, Ra, Lomaiviti and Lau.
Building Grassroots Democracy in Fiji project is coordinated by Live & Learn Environmental Education (Fiji) and extends for three (3) years. The project is funded by the European Commission under the European Instrument for Democracy and Human Rights (EIDHR) Country Based Support Scheme – Fiji.
The major actions involve:
- The formation of a stakeholders committee
- Undertaking a Research of Aspirations & Perceptions (RAP)
- Development of a Discovering Democracy Education Toolkit
- Capacity building on Democracy, Sustainability and Human Rights
- Mobilizing youth actions
2009 - 2012