The purpose of this policy is to provide a framework for Live & Learn in dealing with privacy considerations. For the purpose of this policy, personal information is information which directly or indirectly identifies a person.
Live & Learn in the course of its work may need to collect and administer a range of personal information. The organisation is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information it collects, holds and administers.
Live & Learn recognises the essential right of individuals to have their information administered in ways which they would reasonably expect – protected on one hand, and made accessible to them on the other. These privacy values are reflected in and supported by our core values and philosophies.
Live & Learn is bound by the Victorian Privacy Laws, the Information Privacy Act 2000, as well as other laws which impose specific obligations when it comes to handling information. The organisation has adopted the respective Privacy Principles contained in the Victorian Privacy Laws as minimum standards in relation to handling personal information.
In broad terms this means that Live & Learn:
Collects only information which the organisation requires for its primary function
Ensures that stakeholders are informed as to why we collect the information and how we administer the information gathered
Uses and disclose personal information only for our primary functions or a directly related purpose, or for another purpose with the person’s consent
- Stores personal information securely, protecting it from unauthorized access, and
- Provides stakeholders with access to their own information, and the right to seek its correction.
Personal Information Collection
- Only collect information that is necessary for the performance and primary function of Live & Learn programs
- Notify stakeholders about why we collect the information and how it is administered, and
- Notify stakeholders that this information is accessible to them.
Use and Disclosure
- Only use or disclose information for the primary purpose for which it was collected or a directly related secondary purpose, and
- For other uses we will obtain consent from the affected person.
- Take reasonable steps to ensure the information we collect is accurate, complete, up-to-date, and relevant to the functions we perform.
Data Security and Retention
- Safeguard the information we collect and store against misuse, loss, unauthorised access and modification.
- Make this information freely available in relevant publications and on the organisation’s website.
Access and Correction
- Ensure individuals have a right to seek access to information held about them and to correct it if it is inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or not up-to-date.
- Give stakeholders the option of not identifying themselves when completing evaluation forms or opinion surveys.
Making information available to other service providers
- Live & Learn will only release personal information with that person’s expressed permission, and
- Live & Learn will only release information to third parties where it is requested by the person concerned.
Roles and Responsibities
The Executive Director
- Notifies the Board of Trustees privacy breaches
- In consultation with the Board, make public announcements when necessary to protect Live & Learn’s image and public profile, and
The Management Team
- Immediately advises the Executive Director the existence of policy breach
- Ensure staff and partners are trained in the necessary knowledge and understanding, and perform their duties in compliance with the policy and all relevant requirements.
Responsibilities of staff at all levels
- Where appropriate suggest ways in which practices, systems and procedures could be improved.